Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary Antennae

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary Antennae
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 23:18:26 -0500
On 2/1/2013 10:54 PM, Wilson Lamb wrote:
We put up several at FD.
40’ Rohn 25 on the back of my 16’ trailer.
Raised by elect. winch on front end.
Rested on wooden crutch to install ant.
30’ Rohn 25 manhandled, on a tilt base pinned down with rebar, same crutch to
install beam.
Both Rohns guyed with one set of 3/8” ropes, works fine, tied to 1” steel
stakes driven into hard ground.
I’m sure 40’ could be manhandled (walked up), but it’s somewhat more to deal
with.  Painless with the winch.
The critical part is using the falling derrick to get started when the tower is
low.

Friend built 22’ trailer rig with outriggers for 55’ telescoping mast, works
great.
Another friend built trailer rig for homemade telescoping mast made with EMT
and winch to raise.
All four have rotors...500 contacts on 20m, with FIVE Watts!

We've walked up a 40' 25G with a TH5 and Ham IVusing 5 men, 2 of which were pulling on guys to the top of the tower. They didn't do much till it was past 45 degrees, It gets pretty heavy between 20 and 45 degrees. Not bad before and after that.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

I’d MUCH rather deal with 30’ of R-25 than any push up pole, so if you have a pickup or
trailer to carry the 10’ sections, you’re ready.
Wilson
W4BOH