Re: [TowerTalk] Using Mouser parts to build HyGain rotatorquick-connect

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Mouser parts to build HyGain rotatorquick-connect cable
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 07:33:21 -0500
The male pin 571-666099-4 does not come up on a search. 571-66099-4 does and appears to be the correct part.

73, Larry  W6NWS

-----Original Message----- From: Ray Benny
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:24 PM
To: TowerTalk

Several people asked for the Mouser parts to build HyGain/C.A.T.S. rotator
quick-connect connectors. The information is below in TXT format. I hope it
works. If not, I will ask a friend to place it on his web site.

Ray,
N6VR

Below are the Mouser part numbers needed to build a mating rotator cable
quick connect end to the newer Hygain type rotators connectors. These are
the same connectors used by C.A.T.S Rotator.

571-2067081       Female body                                         (1)

571-206966-7      Body cover/clamp                                  (1)

571-661012         Female connector – small, 16-18 AWG   (6)
Connector pins 3 – 8.

571-666012         Female connector – large, 14-18 AWG    (2)
Connector pins 1 & 2.

To build a quick disconnect/connect system at your Control Box, make a
pigtail with bare wires on one end and a female connector on the other
(above). The bare wires will connect to lugs 1 – 8 on the rotator. Below
are the Mouser part numbers to build male cable end to connect to the
female Rotator Control Box cable.  I use this to change out or quick
disconnect my rotator control box.

571-2067052       Male body                                             (1)

571-206066-7      Body cover & clamp                               (1)

571-666099-4      Male connector – small, 16-18AWG        (6)
Connector pins 3 – 8.

571-666022         Male connector- large, 14-18AWG           (2)
Connector pins 1 & 2.

You can build your own quick connect rotator connector unit by using Mouser
PN connector 571-2067051, male chassis mount connector. You need to make
your own adapter plate – 1 1/4” X 2 ½”, with connector mounting hole &
rotator notch. C.A.T.S. sold me several of his adapters some years ago.

Misc notes:

Please check these part numbers against your Mouser catalog. These
connectors are listed as “AMP CPC Connectors, Series 1”, nine holes. In my
3 year old catalog, they are on P 957.

The 9th hole in these connectors is not used. Leave it open, or fill it
with silicone, if you like.

Male and female pins are gold plated so you do not have to worry about
corrosion forming.

16-18AWG pins are easier to push into the connector body.  14-18AWG
connectors are bigger and more difficult to seat into the connector body.

Mouser does have a pin extractor tool for these connectors. It’s not cheap
and I found it didn’t work that well.

PN 571-211870-1 is a protective cap/cover for the male end connectors.

Before you mount your own male connector system directly to a rotator, make
sure there is clearance to connect the female end cable onto it. This type
connector will generally not work on a rotator that has a mast bracket
adapter mounted on it.