[TowerTalk] Erico chemical ground electrode

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Erico chemical ground electrode
From: "John E. Cleeve" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 22:18:13 -0000
Gentlemen,

Has anyone had experience of using the Erico chemical ground electrode?
The Erico claim is that one chemical ground electrode can be as effective
as multiple ordinary ground rods.

I am not sure if the Erico product is available in the UK, but from the
available Erico literature, it would appear to be a copper tube, which has
been packed with "electrolyte salts", the base of the tube has a number of
holes drilled around the base. The method is to drill a hole in the
ground, larger in diameter than the electrode, put a layer of
Bentonite/Fullers earth in the bottom of the hole, lower the electrode to
the Bentonite, to a depth that covers the holes in the tube, and then pack
the vacant space around the Erico electrode, up to the ground surface,
with Erico "Gem" material, whatever that might be. The electrodes come
with cables already welded for connection.

I am not a chemist, but I am intrigued, perhaps if we have a chemist among
the group, who could provide a simple explanation of how this chemical
electrode system might work, it would be appreciated.

Sincerely, John. G3JVC/GM3JVC.