[TowerTalk] Ain't technology grand?!?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ain't technology grand?!?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 09:24:33 -0500 (EST)
Howdy, TowerTalkians --

     If you've ever worked with a crane, a  critical distance is from where
the crane will set up to where the  load is going. In the past you'd have
to climb roofs or otherwise estimate  sometimes blind distances and hope your
estimate is a good one.

    I hired a 37 Ton crane today to stand a 60' AN  Wireless tower. The
operator took out his Verizon Android smartphone and used an  app to help do
his job. He located the site with a Google Maps-type  view and marked with his
finger where the crane was going to be set up in  the driveway and where
the tower base was. He pushed a button and it told  him the distance was 63.26
feet. Cool. This app - he said it was Map Ruler  - did it easily and fast.

    Being a trailing-edge technology kind of guy, it  was news to me plus
being nifty and very helpful. I can see it being used to  help site where a
tower will go, measure trench lengths, distances between  towers for possible
wire antennas, etc.

    Any other cool apps we'd be interested in out there  for tower, etc.
stuff?

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH