Re: [TowerTalk] wireless rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wireless rotor
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 20:34:38 -0400
On 3/29/2013 Jim Lux wrote:
...snip...
> There's two strategies I've used:
> 1) 24 or 48V and DC/DC converters (lots of bricks available, but not all
> are good for RFI.).  Treat the supply as a constant current source and
> use wide input range converters. Typical converters have a 1:2 or 1:3
> range (e.g. 12-36 V)
...snip...

Yes, probably a good idea.  Even cars are moving to higher voltages.  If you
design the end items for the buss correctly, you could use anything in the
range - Call it 13.8-48 volts (keep it below the 50 volt 'high voltage' limit).

Again, I think the control signal could be Zigbee (which should work in high RF
environments, is a fairly well known standard) and with, say the option of a
Dallas/Maxim 1-wire type buss.

BTW folks, in case you don't follow it, Zigbee is probably what your local
'smart' power meter (and water meter etc) is using/going to use.  Ultra low
power demand to the radio, good signals, and they can setup as a mesh network

Charlie
www.baysidephoto.com
www.thegallos.com