Re: [TowerTalk] DC for winchwes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DC for winchwes
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 08:20:28 -0500
Diligence is a good thing but weather forecasts don't always play out as predicted. As I previously described, I had myself and 3 others converge on an older hams QTH for a "Tower Raising" but... Although the weather forecast that was less than 2 hours old said 0% chance of precipitation till afternoon nevertheless a thunderstorm with terrific lightning display (closest strike was a few hundred yds away and was quite spectacular) ran us off the job about 10:00 AM.

It is these unpredicted storms that put holes in your due diligence approach and tend to motivate the risk adverse among us to leave the tower down when not in use or at least when we aren't around to lower it if conditions warrant.

Note that I am in the heart of tornado alley in south central Oklahoma so my "take" on "sneaky weather" may be different from yours. The NOAA severe weather scientists in Norman, Oklahoma put out these stats: The odds of any given residential structure receiving significant tornado damage in this area is on the order of once per 4,000 years. Careful folks consider proper preparation prudent since this may be your year! In my neighborhood you can cross the street without looking either way and probably survive for years but it isn't prudent.

The odds are in your favor to ignore tornado safety but it isn't prudent. Ditto following forecasts for tower exposure. I think of the fellow who when falling from the 40th floor was heard to exclaim as he passed the 20th floor, "so far so good!" Do you wear your seat belt all the time or just when you think an accident is likely?

What are the risks and cost potentials of lowering a tower when not in use or not "watched?" What are the risks and costs of leaving it up? If you weigh the odds vs costs and would rather risk the tower crashing down than lowering it then that is your choice and I am happy with your decision because I am not in the "kill" zone if there is a failure.

Patrick  AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Andre VanWyk