Re: [TowerTalk] Trap Drain Holes

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trap Drain Holes
From: Brian Alsop <alsopb@nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 09:55:57 +0000
I lost one trap due to exactly this. Wood wasp got into the trap and built his mud and saliva nest.

I've taken a bit different route. I use fine mesh plastic window screen. The reasoning of course is that it's designed to keep out insects. I simply place a strip of it over the holes. Several strips of Scotch 33 tape is used (wrapped around the circumference of the trap) to secure it. Of course one doesn't tape up the holes!

A balun I recently purchased recommended drilling 1/16" weep holes where the water would accumulate with the balun in place. Apparently this diameter is small enough to keep out the bigger insects which cause trouble. Supposedly it it large enough to still allow water to escape.

73 de Brian/K3KO