Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter antenna comparisons

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter antenna comparisons
From: Crownhaven <crownhaven@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 19:43:47 -0500
When you say weak ones, you need to tell us WHICH weak ones. Weak E, weak F2, weak tropo or weak ground wave. I find anything works on E. The band is open or it isn't. F2, what is that????? Oh, I remember. Another lifetime. I think either will handle F2 but an amp would help quite a bit. I guess if you had tropo on six it probably wouldn't matter much if you were on the receiving end. In terms of contesting over ground, the bigger the better. I had an RA with a 17' boom that handled DX quite nicely, F2. I thought bigger was going to be better and put up a C3i C7-50 with 29' boom. I can really tell the difference with this antenna when I'm contesting, working guys way out there over the ground, especially the rovers. In terms of F2, my buddies around here with 12' booms work all the F2 I do.

Your mileage may vary.

I would probably consider what effect the boom might have on my rotor. Since I put up the big C3i, I lost some teeth on my T2X.

Steve, N4JQQ