Re: [TowerTalk] the future of antenna and tower inspection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] the future of antenna and tower inspection
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 17:09:48 -0700
On 4/14/13 3:43 PM, David Jordan wrote:
Cell companies are already using drones for tower inspections ;-)  Less
expensive than a climber!

We're doing some work with quadcopters at JPL and have found that there are substantial regulatory hurdles. I can run out and buy myself a Parrot AR.Drone and do what I want at home, but if a business wants to do this legally, they have to have a CoA (Certificate of Authorization) from the FAA which requires some documentation of your plans, a minimum sized team, all of which have to have third class medicals, etc. That is, there's no "part 103" kind of exceptions like there are for balloons that are less than a certain weight and size.

Mostly it's because there aren't any good rules yet, so they're trying to fit it into the rules they've got, and this kind of thing doesn't fit in the model airplane kinds of exceptions. Kind of like hams can do a lot of things with radios that the rest of the radio using world cannot, except there's no "model airplane amateur license".

For instance, if you're flying that drone as part of your job, you're a pilot and you're doing it for money, so don't you need a commercial certificate? They've sort of decided not really, but...

I think the whole "submit a plan including training processes" for your CoA is sort of like the process for being a student pilot.

There's also all sorts of local rules about where you can operate a drone (including anti-paparazzi laws and anti-looking-at-animal-husbandry laws).

So, as with many things, making a business of doing antenna patterns (which I think would be way cool) is more about navigating through the the regulatory thicket than the technical issues.

Technical issues have solutions. you want "electrically short" dipoles or loops that can have calibrated response and you want three axes, reasonably close to orthogonal. Those could be integrated into your quadcopter pretty easily.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/systemops/aaim/organizations/uas/coa/faq/

Can a civilian company operate an UAS as part of a business?

Currently, civilian companies may not operate a UAS as part of a business without obtaining a Special Airworthiness Certificate - Experimental Category (SAC-EC). However, this SAC-EC is very limited in scope of operational use. Contact FAA for details or see FAA Order 8130.34.

Who can receive a COA to fly a UA in the NAS?

Only public agencies operating an unmanned aircraft.

another nugget of problematic nature: "Routine UAS operations shall not be conducted over urban or populated areas"