Re: [TowerTalk] utility box and feed-throughs

To: "'Hans Hammarquist'" <hanslg@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] utility box and feed-throughs
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 23:33:16 -0400
Following up on the big hole in the bottom of the box, they make PVC
feed-through bushings that will keep the cables from abrading against the
cut metal edges of the hole. Water won't get into the box, and if you press
the cables tightly together you can do a pretty good job sealing the opening
against insects. You can stuff steel wool and/or coax seal around the cable
bundle to keep small critters and insects out.

Now, did I understand correctly that you've pulled a 115V line through the
same conduit as your low voltage cables? Even if you only turn it on when
you need it, that's a code violation. If the AC line insulation was
compromised during the pull, or some critter gets in there and chews it, you
could wind up with lethal voltage on one of your low voltage lines, with
serious risk to life and property. I don't care how confident you are that
this can't happen. It's a code violation for a reason. You really need to
pull that AC line through a separate conduit.

73, Dick WC1M