Re: [TowerTalk] Please Help Me Decide on a Tribander or Monobanders

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Please Help Me Decide on a Tribander or Monobanders
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 13:15:50 +0000
Let me clarify my statement, because Joe is right, there is no disagreement.
If you get a 3 element SteppIR and are serious about 6 meters, by all means go
for the
added element.  Even though the 3 original elements are on a 16 foot boom, the
spacing
is too great.  4 or 5 elements are needed to get very good performance on 6
meters with
a 16 foot boom.
I already had a 5 element M Squared 6 meter beam, so I didn't add the 6 meter
DIRECTOR (sorry) to my SteppIR.  Whenever I did a comparison between the two
antennas the 5 element monoband beam was noticeably better than the 3 element
SteppIR, as you would expect.
Every antenna installation is a compromise.  In my case, with the separate 6
meter antenna, I have an additional feedline to deal with, taking an extra
position on my antenna switch.  I get
marginally better performance than four 6 meter elements on a SteppIR
(probably).  On the
other hand I can instantly switch to 6 meters and see if there is any activity,
etc.  The cost is
somewhat more, too (M Squared antennas aren't cheap).

Rick  K2XT