Re: [TowerTalk] Split legs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Split legs
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:20:27 -0500
Hi Jerry,

Some head scratching here and some ideas.

First, the towers legs split because the base was installed incorrectly without adequate drainage in the legs. Water/condensation filled the base section and when the water froze it split the legs.

Even if you were somehow able to repair the splits you still have the drainage problem.

Here's a suggestion...I'm not a tower guy but maybe others will chime in.

1) Rent a big crane. I don't know what you have on top for weight and antennas but the idea is you want to be able to pick up the whole tower enough so that you can un-bolt the damaged section.

2) With the tower suspended by the crane, torch off the stubs sticking out of the concrete.

3) Drill a hole between the torched-off stubs and epoxy in a pier pin. While you're at it, seal off the holes left where the cut of stubs were to eliminate water getting inside the old buried base. This assumes the base is adequate to begin with.

4) Replace the damaged tower section with a brand new Rohn 25 section fitted with a pier-pin plate.

5) Lower the tower back onto the pier pin, re-tension the guys and you should be good to go.

This is NOT a simple repair job and must be done by a professional that knows what they're doing. A 180 ft tower, or any tower for that matter, is nothing trivial to deal with. You've got a very dangerous situation on your hands.

It might just be simpler to replace the whole tower. Especially since the original installation was faulty to begin with I'd be worried about what other mistakes were made, such as inadequate base, guy anchors, etc.

Again...call in a pro and see what they say.