Re: [TowerTalk] Non resonant guy considerations

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Non resonant guy considerations
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 20:43:31 -0700
On 5/2/2013 3:30 PM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
George, thanks for the rundown.  I will try steel for my 40 ft crank-up
tilt-over which will only have VHF and UHF on it.

Are you sure guying the crank up is a good idea? Also, most of the guy weight is held up bu the tower. for 1/4 or 3/8 EHS that can be substantial additional weight for the tower to support

How far away from my Hy-Gain Hy-Tower or a 50 ft grounded tower with 6
band HF beam should I place the tower with continuous steel guys to
avoid the tower and guys interfering with the HF beam?

I have had a 40' tower that was going to be a 50 footer that is now going to turn into an LM470 with a C19XR at 72' and a WARC7 above it. Its about 60 feet from my 100 foot 45G.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower.htm
The 45G is guyed with Phillystran to 10' elevated guy anchors which I don't recommend. Photos of the small tower are out of date.

I've had various antennas on the various incarnation of this set up with no interaction..."except" when I ran a 40 m sloper about 20 feet at the closest with an AV640 vertical on the short tower. The only interaction was on 40.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)

As you can probably tell, I am not super familiar with towers having
always had fixed wire antennas and now starting a project to put up
three towers. I have climbed several but installed none.

I appreciate the time respondents have taken to comment. When you know
as little as I do about tower interactions anything I learn is a big
percentage of gain.

73,

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: George Dubovsky