[TowerTalk] Distributed tower loads

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Distributed tower loads
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@spamcop.net>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 19:15:53 -0700
Hello TT experts. I'm looking for guidance on how you estimate wind load
capacity of a tower when multiple antennas are distributed at various
elevations, in addition to top-mast mounting. Short of a full finite-element
simulation, perhaps there are simple formulas or spreadsheets that might
provide a rough estimate when selecting tower and antenna combinations. I
haven't found much so far. Clearly, the Big Guns have worked all this out.

This is for long-term planning and dreaming purposes. I live in a CC&R
community, but hope to retire in a few years and move to a rural QTH, state
T.B.D.  Last time I had a tower I was a teenager! So for now, I save my money,
read everything I can get my hands on, and give myself lots to look forward to.
This TowerTalk group is a phenomenal collection of experts. Very impressive
indeed, and I sure appreciate all the wisdom.

73,
Gary, WB9JPS
Livermore, CA