Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 15:51:43 -0500
I was at Lowes today to pick up some clamps to use to connect wires to 5/8 ground rods. The cartons containing these clamps say they are U.L. approved for direct burial.

I believe strongly that code is the minimum acceptable practice in most cases.

I have no required inspection in my area. I architected my current home and retained a contractor and subs to help build it. We were required to register our successful septic perk test performed by a civil engineer (who registered it with the Dept of Environmental Quality.) The septic installer was "self inspecting."

I have NEVER had an inspector on my property for any reason hence my interest in what works rather than what is code or makes an inspector happy. If I can weld or solder and it works good, I'm happy. I have made and played with thermite, great fun, way more expensive than some alternatives in this particular application. (I should have said thermite-like as the rust (iron oxide is most likely replaced with copper oxide. Exothermic is just a neat word than means it gives off heat. Exothermic welding is welding with a process that gives off heat, typically by a chemical reaction as described for the interested folks in Wikipedia under thermite) I weld with heat too furnished by electricity, or combustion.

House has 2 each 200AMP pannels, 3 heat pumps one of which is ground sourced driving hydronic heating sysem. and has attached metal working shop and wood working/electronics shops not included in the 5000+ sq ft of living space of the three floors including a walkout basement.

Not a single permit, not a single visit by an inspector. Everything to code or better, preferably better. Well, truth be told, there was one inspector, ME.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Lux