Re: [TowerTalk] Attaching "flex" cable to crank-up standoffs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Attaching "flex" cable to crank-up standoffs
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 20:26:25 -0700
On 5/14/13 6:15 PM, Bryan Swadener wrote:
Since it is Mil qualified, ALL RG-213 is the same.  Compared to similar-size
foamed dielectric cables, it has more loss/length.

I'm not sure there *is* an active MIL-C-17/74 (which is the actual standard). The military is none too hot on the use of PVC jacketed cables, which this is.

There's plenty of "RG-213 type" cables out there, generically polyethylene insulation, 7 strand core, 0.405" OD, etc. But there's huge differences among them in terms of manufacturing consistency, etc. One needs to really look at the mfr's spec sheet and see what their interpretation of "RG-213 type" really is, and what they actually do for testing.

The best bang for the buck is DX Engineering DXE400MAX, a clone of Davis RF's
Buryflex400 at a substantial savings.  500' = $365 including shipping in the
lower 48 states.  That's 73 cents/foot.

Bryan WA7PRC