Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 B-1/B-1S Baluns

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 B-1/B-1S Baluns
From: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 12:31:40 -0400
In the past year, I have made and measured (on a network analyzer) seven
choke baluns, made of multiple turns (5 to 7) of RG-142 through multiple
cores (3 to 5, 2.4" OD) of type 31 material, all depending on the
application: 2 each for 20, 15 and 10 YO-designed monobanders and one TH-3
tribander. These are packaged inside 3" PVC pipe, with internal spacers to
keep the turns separated as much as possible. The finished unit is
typically 5" to 6" long.

I had the same concerns about boom proximity effects - so I measured them.
I wanted to use a hose clamp to attach the round balun parallel to the 2"
round boom that I was using. I measured choking Z of the balun(s) by itself
and clamped to a chunk of 2" boom material on the bench. I measured no
significant degradation of swept Z. There were slight changes in the
performance - some freqs better, some worse - but the changes were in the
hundred Ohms range in chokes that were measuring in the thousands of Ohms.

I concluded that I was not degrading the performance of my antennas by
using the construction and mounting technique described.

73,

geo - n4ua