Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Seal yea or nay?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Seal yea or nay?
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 15:45:09 -0400
>So, I realize that we all have boxes of PL259s and SO-239 barrels to connect
>with, but why not just use a waterproof connector like N or DIN 7-16, and use
>no tape/seal/what-have-you?

The only bad thing I can say about N connectors, having hastily made a decision
a few years back to go all crimp on N to avoid soldering in the field, is the
apparent lower breakdown voltage compared to UHF plugs.  At low SWR they seem
to be OK at full power, but when you try to get that extra 50 or 100 kHz of
bandwidth out of a compromise antenna with a tuner you will come to grief, even
at less than full power depending on the severity of the mismatch.  For me, it
happened in the middle of winter contest season with 3 feet on snow on the
ground.  Went back to UHF connectors for now.

I think the DIN connectors are the way to go, at least at the top of the tower.
 I don't mind hacking away at rot at ground level, but not if you have to climb
or even work on a ladder with a crank over.  With a multi $K investment in
tower and antennas, cheaping out over a few $20 connectors seems foolish.

Al
AB2ZY