Re: [TowerTalk] C49 XR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C49 XR
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 18:33:48 -0400
On 5/18/2013 1:17 PM, Randall K Martin wrote:
Roger,

Hi Randal
thanks for the info.

I have a 100' 45G and just purchased an LM470 vrank up. It's rated for just one sq ft more than the C49XR with an 80 MPH gust. I'm more of a casual DXer without the patience for contesting. I can get all enthused, but that usually lasts all of 3 or 4 hours.

IF I were 20 years younges and minus two strokes, I'd be putting up a big crank up or two and maybe at least another 45G, but first Id be looking for a good 10 acres to replace my one acre lot.

I have a little C19XCR that worked 'em all for the previous owner, ready to go up as soon as I get the LM470 home and planted.

I have the 40M3-125 and a 30' long 7L 6-meter to go back on the 45G when I can get caught up and find a climber.

So it's hopefully going to be the C19XR and a WARC7 on the LM470 with the 40M3-125 and 7L 6-meter on the 45G with a couple half wave, center fed, fan dipoles on 75 and a half sloper or two on 160. I already have one half sloper and one fan dipole up. Rotators are a PST-62 and ham 4

I'm really too many projects behind for this to be a real plan for the summer.

I gotta get my left arm working again and get rid of the cane. Made some major progress this past week and am back to driving too after the Doc gave me the go ahead. Now if I could just climb towers and lift more than 3# with my left hand. Considering it didn't work at all a couple months back, this is good!<:-))

As to the C49XR I'm probably going to opt for the C31 along with a new WARC7...eventually. Although it's what I'd like the C49XRis a bit more than I want to handle. I wondered why it was so much more until /I saw the weight was over 150# plus. I do have a good two wheeled tram, but the C31XR would let me put up the WARC-7

A local ham W0YG had one up at around 100 feet before he decided to
retire and move to a condo. It was a flamethrower, for sure.  I saw it
on the ground when I stopped in to pick up some tower sections he was
selling. It is a monster antenna and not for the faint of heart. I have
an older version EF 620/340 force 12 duo bander for 40 and 20 on a 44
foot boom, and the tribander is even bigger than my duobander. If I
recall, the boom is 3 inch diameter.

and 49 feet long.

With correct tramming technique, I have been able to raise and lower the
duobander with one additional helper. Not sure I could do that with the
C49XR.

Casual DXer with little patience. If I don't get 'em with in 5 calls I go elsewhere. Which is why I run QRO.

The choice depends on what you plan on using the antenna for. I am
mainly a contester, but I am also a DXer in between contests. If I had
the 5500 to spend on the C49XR I would spend a few hundred dollars more
and buy two C31 XR's instead and stack them. I've got a three stack of
KT36XA's at 30/60/90 feet plus the duobander 40/20 at 120 feet. Kind of
the best of both worlds. If I could only have one or the other, I would
take the stack. Having the ability to switch between antennas at
different elevations is a real asset for contesting. You'd be surprised
at how often the XA at 60 feet will beat out either of the higher
antennas, especially for 20M into Europe in the summer.

That would be nice on the 45G, but impracticable when I have to depend on others for maintenance. I'm going to have to stick with the more modest route.

Charlie (W0YG) had a star bracket on his tower to handle the huge amount
of torque generated by the C49XR. I have a star bracket on my Rohn 45
tower with the duobander and an Orion 2800 turning it.

With a machine shop and extra Phillystran I could easily switch to star guying on the 45G, but again, without the C49XR I don't need it.

The C31XR's don't need as beefy of rotator and you wouldn't need the
star bracket.  Of course, you'd need to purchase a ring rotor of some
sort for the lower C31, so the overall cost might be higher.

I've a friend who had lots of trouble with ring rotators so not being able to do my own maintenance, I'll pass

Thanks and 73

Roger (K8RI)

73
Randy K0EU