Re: [TowerTalk] AlfaSpid tracking software?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AlfaSpid tracking software?
From: John Fickes <kc0bmf@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 22:19:26 -0500
Andy
  Yes on setting the emulation mode. So your working in the right direction
on the controller  As far as the software, that just goes to show you that
everybody has their own programs that they like and are use to. And maybe
the best thing to do is what we all probably did, And that is download and
try some out. I know it takes time to figure out all the software
settings,but I don't know any other way to get the feel of the programs
without playing with them.And actually once you've set 1 or 2 up you can
just fly through them. Of the ones you mentioned I've tried HRD for a bit.I
downloaded Nova and looked it over, didn't care for it. I even tried yet
another not on your list was Orbitron. But I settled with SatPc32 because I
like the way it does the rig control. As far as pointing the antennas they
will all do that. And we can all help you with that and software set up.
But I can't help you choose the software because I don't know what you
like. And as far as I know maybe HRD or any of the others have change since
I've tried them. As far as cost, SATPC32 is free to download and use, the
only thing you have to do with the unregistered version is enter
your coordinates every time you start the program  But if you try it and
decide you like it, you can purchase the registration from AMSAT and that
money goes to AMSAT to help keep the satellites going. The developer of the
software donated the program to AMSAT for just that reason, so that all
money goes to help keep the birds flying.And entering
your coordinates every time, I just wrote them on a piece of paper, and
after a while you wont even have to look at them, you'll of memorized them.
And how many other times have you needed to know your coordinates?  Many
I'll bet,it seems almost every software related to ham radio needs your
Lat. and Long., so thats no big deal either. And after you purchase the
program you'll only need to enter your cordinets once then your done.

                                   GL  John   KC0BMF