Re: [TowerTalk] Need Help For Cable Runs To Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Help For Cable Runs To Tower
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 14:19:04 -0400

And my two cents from Central Michigan.

Right now (spring) the water table in my back yard is...Ar=t the surface and by August it'll be 5 feet down. I do not drill hoes in the 4" conduit and i terminate the conduit several feet above ground in NEMA 4 enclosure, 20 X 24 X 6 box at the tower,
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm
This shows the original run to the house through the basement wall. This was changed to the NEMA box feeding through the end plate after the back hoe pulled out a section of basement wall when we had a new septic system installed.

I have a photo of the new NEMA box which has been replaced with a larger one. Note, instead of 90s I use a pair of sweep 45s.

So one end opened under the floor , about 18" above grade and the other into the NEMA box at the tower. That in turn has conduit that opens in to the shop about 3' above grade. Before the shop was added the original box just had a stub where the cables came out and that was filled with the soft expandable foam.

Although I have control wire in the same conduit, it is low voltage. The PST61 rotator will receive a 3/4" run of its own as it runs on 110VAC

There are no openings directly to the atmosphere from any of the NEMA boxes. Small cables go through water proof fittings with packing glands and coax comes out through bulkhead connectors.

73

Roger  (K8RI)