Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Jack?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Jack?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:00:30 -0700
On 6/14/13 8:00 AM, Jon Pearl - W4ABC wrote:

On 6/14/2013 10:23 AM, Jim Lux wrote:

Is it patented? Or require some unusual fabrication?

Apparently it's patented: http://www.superiormusic.com/towerjack.htm

*NOTICE !! /Tower Jack/ Products are patented under several United
States patents.
Manufacturing and selling of these products by anyone other than
Tower Jack Products of Mt. Juliet, TN is _strictly illegal_.*

Anyone know the patent #? I searched the patent database for various combinations of gill and TN and tower (inventor, assignee, etc.)

I actually found a larger 'entire' picture on fleabay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rohn-type-tower-install-removal-tool-leg-alignment-jack-heavy-duty-radio-ham-/271216494401

From the pictures I've seen, it seems that almost any metal
fabrication shop could crank them out. Maybe not for the same price,
but it sure doesn't look like it would be hard to make them.

One would guess that if your intention is not to sell them, you could
'one-off' a copy.

Actually, manufacture for private use is also a no-no if it's patented. Unlikely you'd get caught, but all those things about "what you do when nobody's looking" come to mind.

There is an exception for "research", in that you can practice the patent to come up with new inventions based on it or to verify that there is sufficient disclosure that someone ordinarily skilled in the art can make it, but not to use the patent for what it was invented for. (and that "research exemption" is the subject of much litigation in the biotech industry)

Otherwise, it would be easy to get around a patent by selling a trivial kit that the buyer assembles. "Attach handle A to device B" and there's your infringing device. In reality this is just transferring the liability of infringing the patent to the end user/manufacturer. For some things, it's not worth it for the patent holder to go after every end user.

Although that is what some "non-practicing-entities" are doing with things like WiFi and some software patents.. they're going after users of the patented technology. Rather than take on Microsoft, you send letters to every user of Microsoft products which use your patent, and say "your use of our patent 1,234,567 is infringing. It is necessary that we protect our patent rights by vigorously pursuing all infringers. However, to put this matter behind us, we are willing to license your use of our patent for the nominal sum of $10,000. Please contact me at your earliest opportunity, and hopefully we can both avoid the considerable expense and time involved in litigation."

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.w4abc.com