Re: [TowerTalk] 450 Ohm Window Line

To: Marshall Stewart <marsh@ka5m.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 450 Ohm Window Line
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@me.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 10:57:18 -0700
The answer is that "it depends." If the metal is running parallel to the feed
line, then there will be coupling and that distance is insufficient. If,
however, the feed line just crosses the metal (preferably at right angle), then
that should be just fine. This is another case of try it and see.

Apparently there are articles on the web pointing to a "magic length" for
open-wire feed. The person who asked me about it had a run shorter than the
number, and wondered what to do about it. Don't coil it!!! That would couple
the feed line back into itself and destroy the balanced properties. The real
answer is to use what you need to get to the antenna and handle things with the
tuner. If you find a voltage node near the shack (and thus RFI), you can add
feed line length out in the open to move the node. In the days of tank circuit
tuners, we would just move the coil taps out to adjust the coupling.

Good luck! Open wire line is magical in itself.

Jack Brindle, W6FB

Sent from my iPad