[TowerTalk] FW: A325 bolts 3/4"

To: "'reflector -tower'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: A325 bolts 3/4"
From: "Matt" <km5vi@flukey.cc>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:02:55 -0500
Good point!  I have both US and Tri-Ex towers - older models.  The shop
drawings for both of my tri-ex towers spec A307 as you say but with a bucket
of A325's "use 'em if you got 'em"...   which should be OK since they have a
higher strength rating.   Interesting to note in stress analysis of the
tri-ex tower design using finite element modeling, the tri-ex design uses
more bolts per leg at lower loadings...   I used the model to develop the
leg reactions for subsequent design of adjustable bases.   I loaded the
tower model all the way to failure then put a factor of safety in the
reaction loads to get a base design that is predictably stronger than the
tower itself.

Regarding the torqueing thing, jurisdictions of authority are free to adopt
their own standards or modifications therein...  and typically do.

Matt
KM5VI