Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 09:21:07 -0500 (CDT)
having a pre-installed pulling loop is a nice thing also.  the last time I did
it we had to buy one of the Chinese finger trap pulling things... can't just
wrap a rope around it like you might with coax or power .

Jul 10, 2013 10:14:15 AM, jimlux@earthlink.net wrote:

On 7/10/13 5:34 AM, Art Greenberg wrote:
> Those are unterminated cables.
>
> Bulk unterminated FO cable is easy to obtain, no argument. Its the
> terminations that seem to be problematic.
>
> I know one can purchase preterminated FO cable for indoor use. I have
> not found a source for preterminated outside plant cable. And even if
> such a thing is available at reasonable cost, I expect that it would be
> difficult to pull through the conduit due to the bulk of the connectors.

they clearly make preterminated outdoor suitable cables, because that's
what the Verizon FIoS guys use when doing installs.

Yes, if you installed 1/2" conduit, it's not going to be easy to find a
terminated cable that will fit.

That said, the connectors on the end of fiber are sort of about the size
of an SMA connector. If you can pull coax with a PL259 on it through the
conduit, then the fiber should be possible.

L-com has a 50 meter duplex 62.5/125 cable with ST connectors for $77.
The ST connector is pretty small. That's for a OFNR (riser) type cable.

Most of the outdoor cables I've seen have been more strands, though (6
or 12 seems common). I think that's because in most situations, the
glass cost is small compared to the labor cost to pull the cable, so you
might as well pull 12 and use 2, leaving 10 dark.

It also depends on what your standard of performance is. Maybe indoor
cables will work just fine in your conduit, even with the water. Or
maybe you'd have to pull new cables every 10 years or something.