Re: [TowerTalk] Sourcing PVC

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sourcing PVC
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 17:10:46 +0000
The problem with the thin-walled Drain & Waste pipe is that it WILL
squash
easily over time IF it is not installed properly.  Proper installation,
among
other things, is to solidly backfill on the bottom and sides of the
pipe with fine soil or sand.  Wash it in with water so there are no
voids in the backfill.  The goal is to have equal pressure on all
sides of the pipe so it won't crush under the weight of
backfill/overburden.

You may already know this but....
Be sure to equip the ends of the run with a screened Tee or other scheme
to allow air to circulate through the pipe and keep out bugs, mice, etc
and rain/snow.  Having the ventilation will help keep mold from
growing in the pipe.

Another thing...you may already know this too...is that adding cables
after the initial pull can be difficult.  That's especially true with
running hardline coax because it may not lay flat in the tube.
The pull rope or snake can weave itself under and around the
hardline, etc and cause all kinds of problems with running new
cables.  If I had my 200ft run to do over again, I would install
several semi-flexible but hard-walled, PVC pipes inside the larger
pipe to make future cable runs a lot easier.  Yeah, sure it will
cost money, but it would be a small fraction of my/your
total investment in the stations.

Just my barbershop advice.  :D)

73, Charlie, N0TT