Re: [TowerTalk] What is the highest you would setup a Rohn 25 as a tempo

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What is the highest you would setup a Rohn 25 as a temporary tower?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 06:47:41 -0700
On 7/11/13 6:44 PM, Eric Cary wrote:
I have been talking with some friends about setting up a temporary tower on a
trailer something like a boat trailer.

Something like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~k8cc/images/100_0137.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~k8cc/images/100_0816.JPG

What is the highest you would go with a Rohn 25 or 45 tower with guys of course?

Is the trailer carrying the tower load? or just carrying the tower until you erect it. I've seen tower trailers that when the tower tilts up, the base of the tower is in contact with the soil, so the trailer isn't in the structural picture at all, other than as a prop for the tower until you get the guys hooked up.

If you're going to use the trailer as part of the structure, you need something to carry the vertical load to the ground. Retractable/removable feet or something.

People do build trailers where the unguyed tower is braced to the trailer frame,but if you do some calculations on tipping it over, you'll find that the usual 6-7 foot width trailer isn't much base width to resist overturning, and you have that big lever arm sticking up in the air.

As to how high? What is it going to fall on? Really.. it's a temporary installation, and sooner or later it is going to tip over, and you need to make sure that it's going to fall somewhere that the damage is manageable.

Beyond that, it's more a matter of how will you put the tower up. You're looking at a non-telescoping stick that you're going to put up all at once.

We've put up 20 feet with a 15 meter multielement beam using ladders and Iwo Jima style erection at Field Day and it wasn't all that scary.

I've carried around and put up a 30 foot extension ladder and only dropped it a couple times.

If you're thinking 50 feet, though, some thought is in order of the mechanics and practicality. Aside from guying (temporary guy anchors are a chore, and I've seen the bumper ripped off a car by bad choices), you might think about something like a falling derrick for erection.