Re: [TowerTalk] BIG WIRE BEAMS FOR 75 METERS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BIG WIRE BEAMS FOR 75 METERS
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 14:25:09 -0400

> 3.  Yagi's need to be a half wave high to really play,
> but they may still hear OK at a lower height.

The crossover point between a dipole and vertical is actually
about 0.4 wavelength.  A Yagi will have a slight advantage over
a dipole because of the slightly reduced (ca. 3 dB) radiation
up/down.

> 4.  Verticals with a good ground system are as good
> as Yagi's for transmit depending on your ground conductivity.
> Fortuitously, I have very high ground conductivity, but
> of course YMMV.

Verticals suffer an automatic 6 dB penalty because of the lack
of ground gain.  Yes, a vertical does very well in the ground-
wave region - better than any high dipole/yagi.  However, once
the dipole/yagi is above 0.4/0.35 wave (100 feet/30 meters) the
horizontal antenna has better radiation at all take-off angles
in its "forward" direction than the vertical (vs. dipole) or
4 square/vertical beam (vs. yagi).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV