Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:58:55 -0700

I think you are mixing several different concepts here, at least a couple of which are erroneous.

Taking your anecdotal story about the Parthenon at face value, rebar itself would rust and crack the concrete it was in because I guarantee that concrete is more porous than marble. The more likely factor is that the pins were made from high carbon steel, which is considerably more prone to corrosion. Put one of your best drill bits and a piece of rebar in a dish of water if you don't believe me.

The failed guy anchor wasn't necessarily due to electrolysis. It is well documented that metals under mechanical stress will corrode much faster than without the stress. The highest stress point on the anchor rod would be right where it exited the concrete pier, and that's exactly where I would expect to see the worst corrosion effects.

In any case, it is clear that rebar should never be allowed to penetrate the concrete/soil interface, but NOWHERE does any code say that copper should not, and in fact a high percentage of connections to residential Ufer ground systems do exactly that.

Dave   AB7E