[TowerTalk] Which Balun with the TH7DXX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Which Balun with the TH7DXX
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 02:29:19 -0700
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 00:54:40 +0200
From: "Peter Voelpel" <dj7ww@t-online.de>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which Balun with the TH7DXX

A solenoid winding made of coax is more effective then those 4 wraps.
I use SCF12-50 Cellfex to wind my choke baluns.
30 turns on a pvc tube of 4-5" diameter do the trick (2000 ohms at 14MHz).

73
Peter

##  This  Cellflex  SCF12-50   is  almost the same as Andrew superflexible
half inch heliax.
Both have a copper clad solid Aluminum center conductor + corrugated shield.
Min turning radius on this cellflex stuff is 1.3 inchs.
 http://www.rfsworld.com/websearch/DataSheets/pdf/?q=SCF12-50J

##  are you sure you can even wrap this stuff around a 4-5 inch diam PVC tube ?
5 inchs  x 3.14 x 30 turns =  471 inchs.  =  39.25 feet required.   That’s one
helluva lot
of coax wasted to make a balun.   With its .54 inch outer jacket X 30 turns,
the balun
ends up being  6.08 inchs OD  x 16.2  inchs long.   The balun would have to be
at least
3 inchs away from the boom, and  4-5 inchs would be better.

##  its unique coax though.  It has the smallest bend radius of all the 1/2
inch cables.
The 1.3 inch min bend radius  is for repeated bending.  They don’t list what
the  single
bend radius is... which is typ even less than  repeated bending spec.

##  peter, what do you use for 40m yagi ?  Is your 40 ma yagi  200 ohm..with a
1:4 balun.... or is it 50 ohm... with just a choke balun ?

Jim  VE7RF