Re: [TowerTalk] How high is enough

To: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How high is enough
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 08:41:31 +0100
Something similar here - it formed the basis of my QST article "What's the best height for my beam?" in the May 2009 edition.
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/height_2/

Look in particular at the chart in Section 2 - it shows how relative performance changes vs height with path and band. Clearly, you can't talk about an optimum height for a multiband antenna without defining what you mean by optimum.

A further important consideration is whether a particular height puts a deep null in the elevation pattern at an angle where you may sometimes be trying to work. It might be worth sacrificing a dB or two at some angles in order to avoid a 20dB null at others.

Steve G3TXQ