Re: [TowerTalk] How High is enough

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How High is enough
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 18:03:03 -0400
I remember working the Dx contests with my shiney (then) new 71 footer and locals would beat me to Canal Zone (now HP1)with towers at 40 to 50 feet. You don't need to be at 100 feet to get burned this way.

Bill KM9P (later W4AN) had a 90 feet tower and had a Th6 mounted at 45 feet
aimed at 45 degrees (Europe).

Val N4RJ found that his bottom beam (4 el Cushcrafts) needed to be mounted at only 22 feet in his 10 meter 4 stack to bore a signal into South America.

I ran a 50 feet telephone pole with a Gonset 3 el beam in the ARRL SS from 1958 to 1963. K1ZM (then Wa2CLQ) said I was loud on 20. Look at K6ZZ. Dave has a KT34XA and 2 el Cushcraft
on a 50 foot tower and is loud in the SS
and does well even in DX Contests.

Put as large a beam or beams as possible
on an available tower and operate.  You may be surprised at what you can do.

73 Dave K4JRB