Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Angles Data

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Angles Data
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 14:05:44 -0500 (CDT)
ssn to ionization density is just one part of the equation, you have to also
consider layer height and even the effects of other layers than just the F
layer.
you should also expect voacap and other ionospheric modeling packages to
produce similar results as they have been created by similar processes
that account for the whole range of variables.  even my MOF/LOF calculator
(http://www.k1ttt.net/technote/techref.html#prop) which was derived from
minimuf85 was fitted to a solar cycle's worth of contest data from around the
world, though mine took the extreme route of finding even the weakest possible
paths instead of the broadcaster or traffic handler optimum frequencies it
provides a similar range of arrival angles.

The use of anything like the hfta figure of merit has to be weighted to what
your goals are... i.e. in contesting from the east coast we place much higher
weight on maintaining strong signals into Europe for as long as possible which
makes the arrival angles from that relatively short atlantic path
much more important when designing antennas  than the relatively infrequently
used long path to south east asia.  so spending more on a
good stack that covers a wide range of angles toward Europe is much more
important than trying to cover all the angles on the opposite path.

this is what leads to designs like mine where on 10/15/20m I have 2 fixed
antennas in the middle of the stack at Europe with one
rotateable one above and one rotateable one below them.  this lets me use the
top antenna separately for low angle paths, and have a similar rotateable
low antenna for high angle paths.  a separate fixed south antenna provides a
quick switch when needed for carribean/south America stuff without having
to turn one of the other antennas away from Europe.  so during the day the
normal running configuration is 4 antennas at Europe, then when Europe slows
down the top one is normally turned to the pacific.  it also gives flexibility
for stateside contests by using the south antenna along with the low rotateable
antenna and the top antenna, the low one is usually pointed south west and the
high one west to cover the longer west coast path.

you can never have too many antenna options.