Re: [TowerTalk] Question for common mode choke balun experts.

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question for common mode choke balun experts.
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 15:34:35 +0100
You need to remember that there is a large resistive component in the choke impedance, so you'll not see "High-Q" effects.

I just checked four turns of RG213 on four stacked FT240-31 cores; there was a broad peak in impedance between 13MHz and 27MHz, at just over 3000Ohms.

Then I added an 8.2pF capacitor in parallel; the peak dropped to 5MHz, but it was still pretty broad and the peak impedance had actually dropped to about 2000 Ohms.

Hope that helps,
Steve G3TXQ