Re: [TowerTalk] Roof tower Glen Martin RT-1832 installation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Roof tower Glen Martin RT-1832 installation
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 09:31:26 -0500
Bob, You may not have snow but wind is still a consideration. Do yourself (and your insurance rates) a favor and through bolt rather than screw. Much stronger and longer lasting solution.

If you insist on screwing around then use lag bolts and predrill pilot holes the full penetration depth of the lags. To drill the right size hole for piloting lags use a bit with a diameter equal to the diameter of the body of the lag. The body of the lag is the diameter NOT INCLUDING THE THREADS. Oversize the bit and you will reduce the threads holding power. Undersize the bit and the taper of the lag will act as a splitting wedge and split the wood resulting is very poor holding strength for the threads. An exception is with very soft wood which may not split and will accept slightly undersized pilot holes.

That said, please use through bolts if at all possible. They are a much much better solution. Can't be on both sides at once? Tee nuts inside the attic will help, These nuts have sharp "spikes" which go into the wood and hold the nut against turning. Once the Tee nuts contact the wood you will not have to have a wrench on the inside to hold the nuts as they will hold themselves.

With a Tee nut loosely screwed onto the bolt and with you back on the outside on the roof you just pry up on the bolt a little while turning it to engage the Tee nut's self holding spikes to the wood. Once they grab then you just tighten as if someone were holding the nut with a wrench for you. A good alternative to getting a child or small person to safely navigate the attic and hold a wrench on the standard nuts.

Tee nuts are available from a plethora of sources including many on the internet. They come in steel as well as stainless steel, brass, etc. Just search on Tee nut or T nut.

Best of luck to you on your project.

73

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Robert West