Re: [TowerTalk] Comparing Hi-Z Receive Arrays and KB7GF Shared ApexLoop

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Comparing Hi-Z Receive Arrays and KB7GF Shared ApexLoop
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:51:04 -0400
Chet

In your situation, I would not recommend the HiZ. Too much metal in the circle
to mess up the pattern of the array.

Believe me when I say that my 6 ft diameter tuned coax loop got me working into
VK . It is probably one step above the K9AY loop when you consider how quiet
the coax loop is. I don't hear all of the DX all of the time, but with patience
I eventually hear good stuff. I have 170 countries wkd/cfmd on 160 and 155 of
them were with either the K9AY or the coax loop or both since I have an A/B
switch for them and a 20 db preamp in the shack.

I always wanted to try the Pixel Sat amplified broadband loop but do not want
to shell out any more money for antennas. If I can't hear the DX with what I
have, I just wait for another time. My worst direction on 160 seems to be
Africa. Just cannot hear anyone in that continent, except for A92IO. Even the
west coast of Africa was a bust for me this past winter when there was some
good DX happening in AF.

But other guys within 300 miles of me in Jacksonville FL ( N4NN with his HiZ )
and N4IS in Miami with his Waller Flag worked the AF stations. Sometimes I
think I am in a black hole. Yet, I did work XU7ACY and VQ9LA on 160 with the
coax loop. I think that there was ducting with a spotlight on my QTH during
those QSOs.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com