Re: [TowerTalk] Never Free Climb

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Never Free Climb
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8ri-on-TowerTalk@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 01:44:10 -0400
On 8/13/2013 7:47 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
Interesting that the article said 'harness's were found near the tower.'
Guess that's what happens when you leave them on the ground.  73
Tom W7WHY

Harnesses were found "after the fact"

If a friend or partner fell, what's the first thing you'd likely do at getting down? The harness is heavy and hinders your movements, yet two or three clicks and you can drop it in seconds and be far more effective at assessing the situation and administering aid although you know the chances of needing aid after a fall are next to nil and less than that from several hundred feet.

There are many times you have to unhook one hook, move it, and then do the same for the other. It's very easy to make a mistake if you are tired, and/or in a hurry to finish.

Often it means moving the fall arrest gear as well and that means there are many chances for mistakes.

We don't know from the description whether they had been wearing harnesses or not. It's likely the investigation can easily show if the harness of the victim was being worn at the time of the fall. I've finally reached the end of climbing, much as I enjoy it. I never hooked up the fall arrest while climbing except when moving around places where I had to disconnect both Gorilla hooks.

Normally I climbed using a pair of gorilla hooks so at least one was always attached. As I said, when going around the guy plates which were often 18" or more, I'd leave the gorilla hooks attached and reach as high as possible to hook up the fall arrest, then disconnect the gorilla gooks and climb around the plate, hooking the first gorilla hook as soon as possible. Often It can be verry difficult to leave one hook on below the plate and reach up to hook the other above the plate. Usually the gorilla hooks were as short as possible, yet long enough to aid a rapid climb.

I don't know how others did it, but it was allowable for us as long as at least one hook remained secure and was attached to the back of the harness. You never want to fall with the support attached to the front of your harness. Even a relatively short hall can break your neck or back. That's why fall arrest gear always attaches in back between and below the shoulder blades. Yes it is likely to hurt (maybe a lot), but it's unlikely to be fatal.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Is this what happens when free climbing?

http://www.wral.com/man-dies-after-fall-from-cell-tower-near-coats/12768142/

I am strapped on with a loop and a fall arrestor while climbing up, working
and when climbing down

Mark N1UK