Re: [TowerTalk] Question on mast height above tower

To: <RShirbroun@newportlabs.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question on mast height above tower
From: "Steve Jones" <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:13:29 -0700
Randy-

If you can find a copy of Dave Leeson's "Physical Design of Yagi Antennas"
(out of print) he explains how to calculate all the moments created by your
combination of wind speed, boom/mast lengths and material types.  Then you
select the proper material, length and wall thickness to withstand those
forces.  That stack sounds like a big load on the base of the 2" mast, but
whether it will hold depends on the yield strength of the chrome moly mast
you use.

73,
Steve
N6SJ