[TowerTalk] Rerod base for LM470 progress

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rerod base for LM470 progress
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 01:52:07 -0400
I had planned on cutting the 1/2 X 3 X 19 base mounting plates from the #10 rerod. Unfortunately it was a bit much for my small plasma torch. It'll cut 3/4" at 10" per minute, but the weld, plate and rerod proved a bit thick and blowback from a big puddle took care of the torch tip. So I filled the kiy with spare parts plus a set for extended cutting.

In the mean time I set up 3 plates in the mill and turned out 3 nicely matching plates. The power quill feed is really nice and the accuracy of the table makes it easy to line up the holes. OTOH lining up the material/plates with a dial indicator takes a bit of care. This was the first time I'd lined yo a project in years. It still took an hour, but would hane taken much longer on a drill press. I'm still going to try and cut off the old plates, but it's not nearly so important now.

Tomorrow I'll weld the plates to the #10 rerod add the reinforcement and wire up the rest of the cage.

I need to get one of the large wet/dry shop vacsthat can swallow the long curls/shavings from a sharp drill bit. There sure are a lot of shavings from 7 3/4" holes in 3 of those plates.

73

Roger (K8RI)