Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain HG-70 HD tower

To: "Big Don" <bigdon39@gmail.com>, "Nick Pittner" <Goodsonrd@netwalk.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain HG-70 HD tower
From: "Mike Ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 11:42:49 -0400
Don, MFJ does NOT sell the towers. ONLY the base for the tower...the rebar base and the ears for mounting the tower are attached/welded on. Any parts for the tower must be obtained from after market sources or from other surplus HG series towers. I verified this in person with the reps from MFJ at the Orlando Hamfest earlier in the year. I told them that a PICTURE of the tower appears on their website. They looked at each other and were 'surprised' or so it seemed and said they would have to see about getting that removed from their webpage. I would bet they STILL have that photo there though..who knows. But, unless something has drastically changed up there you can only buy the base from them, which I think sells for about $150 plus truck freight charges to deliver. It is heavy... When you look to change those bearings, take a close look at the 'pins' or shafts that the pulleys ride on. If they are worn, I would not use them again. They will just wear out the brass sheaves that much quicker as they pulley will not ride perpendicular to the pin. I would suggest drilling out the holes were they mount and put a stainless bolt through there. I just don't think you will find those galvanized pins any place unless you have them made for you at a machine shop. They are held in place by cotter pins which scares me a little anyway. I am using the 4" pulleys from McMaster Carr. They do not appear to be galvanized and I am sure their longevity will be expectedly short. But for less than $10 a copy I can live with that for now. I have not looked at them since the spring but had put them in back in January when I replaced the cables. Time to have another look to be sure. The Florida environment here is not kind to metals outside. US Towers sells a MUCH hardier pulley with roller bearings for about $100 per copy. However, I don't think they sell a 4" copy of this. A 5" pulley is not going to fit. Your tower uses 4". The top cable was originally a 3/16" as is mine now, though I have seen a number of these towers where the user simply changed that top cable to a 1/4" 7/32 like the others below. The thinking is to use galvanized cable rather than stainless as it doesn't crush as easily and has a slightly higher breaking strength. Also have seen a TB-3 ROHN bearing replace the stock thrust bearing as I have done but be careful to get the bearing CENTERED on the top before drilling the holes. Good luck and let us know here what you do to refurbish the tower and where you got your parts, - Mike

-----Original Message----- From: Big Don