Re: [TowerTalk] How fast can you spin a K2550

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How fast can you spin a K2550
From: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:44:00 -0700
On 2013-08-29 07:58, Dan Bookwalter wrote:
I have a cheap 1/2" drill that I tried on the tower raising fixture
(TX-472), but , I can control it at a very slow speed.

does anyone have a feel for how many rpm these winches can safely spin
at , especially when the brake is involved ?

Dan N8DCJ

Having had a K2250, I (and many others) can attest that it is
easy to overheat the brake when turning by hand.  Of course
this all depends on the amount of loading on the winch.

The problem with using a variable speed drill at low speed is
that the cooling fan built into the drill is ineffective when
you slow it down.  Thus the drill overheats, especially a cheap
one.  I have Milwaukee's best variable speed drill with reduction
gears, and full speed is still many hundreds of RPM.  Too fast
for a winch with a significant load.  Attempting to slow it
down saves the winch, but the drill overheats.

When the tower is in the nearly vertical position, then the drill
is useful.  I would still stay below 100 RPM or so.

I recently gave up on the drill operated hand winch paradigm and
installed a motor driven winch for the tilt over fixture.  Even
this winch has some issues with the worm gear heating up, but it is
way better than the Fulton winches.

--
Rick
N6RK