[TowerTalk] OWL and LFA antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] OWL and LFA antennas
From: "Joe Barnes" <n4jbk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 10:43:59 -0400
Does anyone have any first hand experience with these OWL and / or the LFA type
of beams? I am mostly interested in antennas for 6 and 2 meters. I have been
looking at antennas for what I feel is too long and I am ready to get some more
beautiful aluminum and stainless in the air to punish the atmosphere.

I have heard that these type of antennas are not quite ready for prime time, it
has been said to me that they are very sensitive to the weather changing S.W.R.
if it rains or snows. I won’t stay up too late worrying about snow here in
Florida but it has rained here before.

I don’t mind at all trying something new but I don’t want to stick my head into
the noose if there is actual evidence saying that these type of antennas are
flawed in some really noticeable way that will make me regret putting them up
there.

Thank you for your help,

Joe N4JBK