[TowerTalk] FW: Help with calculations...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Help with calculations...
From: "KM5VI" <km5vi@flukey.cc>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 13:00:05 -0500
For the setup you have given:

Max lifting cable tension = (M1 x T) + (M2 x A)

Where:
T = gross tower weight
A = top payload weight
M1 = ratio of moment arm from tower mass to lifting point / SINE min cable
angle. For your case the minimum cable angle of 45 deg occurs with the tower
horizontal and M1 = 32/(13 x SIN(45)) = 3.5
M2 = ratio of moment arm from tower payload to lifting point / SINE min
cable angle. For your case M2 = (64/(13 x SIN(45) = 7.0

Assumptions:
1. the elevation of the hinge centerline at the tower base does not exceed
top of tower elevation at any time (min lift angle is 45 deg)
2. tower center of gravity is at or below the middle of the tower (upper
section tower weight does not exceed lower section weight)
3. all payload is at the 64 ft level (no mast extension)
4. lifting cable attachment and lifting cable support are both at the 13 ft
level

Be aware that the horizontal and vertical loads from the cable tension
transferred to the attachment point are subject to the cable angle and they
change as you perform the lift.
If the lifting attachment point is on your house - the load is a point load
and not a distributed load.
Beware that your house/roof framing is not likely designed for large point
loads, particularly with respect to strength of lateral bracing - don't pull
your roof down AND drop your tower in the process.

Good luck with your project.

Matt
KM5VI