Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Shielded shack

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Shielded shack
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 21:28:31 -0700
snip

The one experience I had with a homebrew metal window screen cage (copper or bronze, I forget which) was that it didn't work very well because the wire crossings really aren't solid electrical contacts. The fix was to have a tech solder them in a 6" grid of X-Y lines - ugly!

Based on the other comments, I would think expanded steel mesh might be an easy way to get good results - see McNichols.com but not cheap.

Grant KZ1W
Metal window screen works well into the GHz range

For lower frequencies, you need thicker material for good shielding: the skin depth is bigger.

To be a good shield, it needs to be at least 5 skin depths thick (that makes the field on the "inside" exp(-5) that of the outside (about 40dB down)