[TowerTalk] Shielding - slight OT

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shielding - slight OT
From: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 12:55:29 -0400
A quick real story -- Long ago and far away (Southeast Asia) we installed
a small computer system. It had a problem. At fairly regular intervals
(about every 15-20 seconds, IIRC) it would often take a "red light" error.
A bunch of people worked on it; various components were replaced, etc,
etc. Nothing helped.  One day a team member was looking out a window and
happened to notice that a radar antenna seemed to have the same period of
revolution. A quick check verified the problem. A roll of common aluminum
foil (from the PX), hung in overlapping strips, temporarily solved the
problem. The machine was later moved to a different location. I cannot
remember the exact details of the foil placement.

The goal of shielding a ham shack is not quite the same thing, but a
simple foil "wall" did work in at least one instance.

Bill
W2WO