[TowerTalk] TriEx LM-70 Tiltover-revisted?? - N1NK comments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TriEx LM-70 Tiltover-revisted?? - N1NK comments
From: "Jim Spears" <n1nk@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 12:36:52 -0400
I have a LM354 tower, little brother to the LM470.  I now use a Fulton K2550
winch for both raising and tilting; my tilt fixture is similar to the LM470
fixture, just a bit smaller.  The K1550 winch was woefully underpowered for
my tower so I have to assume that using one with a LM470 would be torture,
hi.  The K2550 is totally adequate for my setup.  The brake holds well while
tilting down and tilting up is only an arm exercise, not torture.

N6RK has an excellent writeup on using a motor winch for tilting his tower.

I see that Harbor Freight has been selling a series of 12 vdc SUV winches
under the "Badlands" name.  these come in a series of ratings and appear to
be water resistant;  after all, if a winch is mounted on the front of a Jeep
then it must be able to survive getting rained and sprayed on.  I looked at
the details, other than the smallest winch, all have an integral winch.  I
suspect that one of these might be very useful for tilting towers, maybe not
lifting and holding all the weight of a crankup plus top load.

Jim/N1NK