Re: [TowerTalk] Connecting Tower to Ground Rod

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Connecting Tower to Ground Rod
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:08:06 -0500
When I was working in telecommunications for a major insurance group, we had both ground rings around multiple building complexes, air terminals tied to building steel at 197 feet AGL, ground busses on the top floor tied to the ground mat (under the basement floors) using pairs of 400 MCM cable and all raceways, ducts, and piping bonded to building steel and the ground mat. One significant issue with distant towers or buildings with connecting signal conductors is voltage differential and propagation delay. In one seven building complex (for 5000 employees) each building was at least 200 feet per side, and five stories tall, with one building the aforementioned 197 foot tower.

If I had a tower 190 feet away with coaxial cable and rotor control leading to the shack, I 'd ground it, bond it, and put ICE protection on the coax and control conductors as they entered the ground window. My tower is less than ten feet from the ground window (built into a basement window) and is bonded to a ground rod in the bottom of the tower base, an external ground rod near the base, the ground window, a ground rod in two sump wells, and the electrical system ground.

YMMV....

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

Re: [TowerTalk] Connecting Tower to Ground Rod
from [Pete Smith N4ZR] [Permanent Link][Original]