Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Top Guys

To: "TT TowerTalk" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Top Guys
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 07:05:58 -0500
Regarding the ROHN manual comments and the original post. The 45-G bottom
receiving female pieces for bolting the sections together had significant drips
or blobs of galvanizing which prevented the sections from being mated together
even after an initial clean up with a half round bastard file and a round
bastard file and the use of the Yellowjack.. We spent additional time cleaning
the insides of the bottom joining sections before the sections would join even
with significant force applied to the Yellowjack.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

> As long as I am posting - I recently helped put up 50' of 45G for another
> local ham, AB9M.  We had to spend quite a bit of time cleaning excess
> galvanizing from new tower sections - the inside of the leg joints.

>From the ROHN  manual:
Don't drill out the bolt holes. Use a taper punch, the same one for
aligning sections will do.

Drive the punch in to open the hole until the bolts fit.  Don't screw
them in.