Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn SSV … or is it? Stump the experts.

To: "John Todd" <jtodd@loligo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn SSV … or is it? Stump the experts.
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 07:54:12 -0500
I too acquired a (probable) Rohn tower, part of one anyway. Triangular configuration, 4 inch tubular legs with 1/4 inch wall thickness. It is 20 ft sections connected by bolting together welded-on flanges. Legs are 14 ft on centers at ground level. This tower failed in service when the wind generator and top 60 ft of the 100 ft tower crashed to the ground due to not anticipating the effects of the gyroscopic forces when wind changed direction without slacking speed.

I'll be refurbing the bottom 40 ft and putting an observation deck on top. I also intent to put a crank-up tower atop the 40 ft base.

Good luck to you on all your endeavors,

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: John Todd