Re: [TowerTalk] Thoughts on towers suitable for my difficult location?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thoughts on towers suitable for my difficult location?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 12:59:43 -0700
On 10/23/13 12:33 PM, Drax Felton wrote:
If it's bracketed to the house then the house should already be on a stable
foundation.  Why the expense of a PE  for a short 40 ft tower?  Use a hazer or
tilt base and crank the darn thing down when a hurricane approaches.

Most houses aren't actually all that good at withstanding localized side loads. They're designed to hold roof up, and depend a lot on gravity to keep things oriented and attached. It's often hard to find a place to attach the tower that can take the loads. The fascia boards will rip right off. Hooking to the between floor beams/joists on a 2 story house is probably reasonably secure (but you'd need to check the house design).

I'm of the general opinion that bracketing is something to support a short or telesecoping tower which is frighteningly wiggly to climb, not to withstand significant wind loads. It doesn't take much of a lever arm to develop amazingly high lateral forces on your house's structure.